Re: Developer Guide

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:40:13 -0800
Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:

> > No releases are to be made without guranteeing portability, at least
> > between Linux (all major distros), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris
> > (for a start).
>
> Not possible -- for several reasons. Aside from the example of Akka
> (which to my knowledge never worked on Solaris and was only ported to
> FreeBSD in a much earlier version, only works on Linux), there are
> other
> issues at hand.
>
> 1. Not everyone has access to all those systems.
> 2. Even if we were to compile at a compiler farm, GUI applications
>    cannot be tested.

I am willing to test and port. I must note though, code should usually
be portable. A program like Duali SHOULD be portable. A program like
Katoob SHOULD be portable. A program like Akka is an exception...
(though consideration should be atleast taken for the possibility
of someone porting it).

> If a program compiles successfully on a given Linux system, it by
> definition should do the same on any given distribution. There are a
> few exceptions (again, only Akka does some special things that require
> fiddling with variations in how distro's structure their console tools
> and keymaps). But that's why you need an INSTALL ;)

or a configure...

--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled dot com |