[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- To: rms at gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- From: gerd dot moellmann at t-online dot de (Gerd Moellmann)
- Date: 09 Aug 2003 17:04:09 +0200
- Cc: eliz at elta dot co dot il
- Cc: emacs-devel at gnu dot org
- Cc: emacs-bidi at gnu dot org
- Cc: developer at arabeyes dot org
- Cc: alex at emacswiki dot org
- User-agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.3
Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org> writes:
> IIRC, I was worried that it might be a dead end, sort of a hack, which
> users of r2l languages wouldn't be happy with in the long term.
> That may be true--but even if that is true, but might be a good thing
> to install it now. Sure, we would like something better such as Eli
> is working on, but I don't think he will have it ready soon.
> If that will take another two years, we may as well have the emacs-bidi
> code in the mean time, rather than nothing.
That's true, no argument, if nobody steps up to finish Eli's
I think it would be unfortunate though, and that's why I mentioned the
dead end, if users really get unhappy and redisplay is hacked to
improve performance in the right-to-left case based on a presumable