[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- To: gerd dot moellmann at t-online dot de
- Subject: Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz at elta dot co dot il>
- Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:02:04 +0200
- Cc: emacs-bidi at gnu dot org
- Cc: emacs-devel at gnu dot org
- Cc: rms at gnu dot org
- Cc: developer at arabeyes dot org
- Cc: alex at emacswiki dot org
> From: gerd dot moellmann at t-online dot de (Gerd Moellmann)
> Date: 08 Aug 2003 13:23:28 +0200
> IIRC, I was worried that it might be a dead end, sort of a hack, which
> users of r2l languages wouldn't be happy with in the long term. But I
> have to confess that I don't remember the details.
I still have the mail we exchanged, and can dig out the details.
IIRC, you were worried about the performance hit: the code as written
in the display engine part required to disable all the optimizations
and shortcuts that exist for the left-to-right languages, and you felt
this would hamper redisplay performance even in the simplest cases,
like cursor motion and insertion of a single character.