[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- To: Alex Schroeder <alex at emacswiki dot org>
- Subject: Re: merge emacs-bidi into the main tree
- From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:05:07 -0400
- Cc: emacs-bidi at gnu dot org
- Cc: developer at arabeyes dot org
- Cc: emacs-devel at gnu dot org
Some people have been waiting for a long time for a bidi-enabled Emacs
-- at least I have been waiting for more than a year. The strange
thing is that we have a working implementation: emacs-bidi is
available from www.m17n.org, and has been since Emacs 20.3 or earlier.
I would expect that it needs merging to be able to be installed
into the current sources. Is someone interested in doing that work?
There are a few imperfections, or so I hear, but when I -- as a
non-Arabic-speaker -- saw the Arabic glyphs rendered correctly on IRC
(using ERC, the Emacs IRC client) -- I was surprised! Yes, there may
be problems with the existing solution, but at least there *is* a
What do Hebrew and Arab users think of it?
Eli Z, what is your opinion?
Handa, what do you think?