Re: On Akka Development (Was Re: The RedHat Project ?)

Salaam Mohamed,

> I am still trying the python approach. 'Trying' means some problems: I
> have always used omniORB (not an option here - an additional
> dependency), but tryig now to use ORBit. The python support for ORBit is
> not that good (essentially unusable) in Red Hat 8+, but the support for
> ORBit2 is good.  I am thinking of upgrading akka to use ORBit2, and I
> think it is simple with your help.
> The text installer in Red Hat is python, so if distros have python
> working, this will not be a problem. If any problems, I may switch to a
> C client, but I will also prefer an upgrade to ORBit2.
> I am also in support of using CORBA in this project.

If memory serves, I don't think any orbit-specific code was used, so
switching corba implementations should only be a problem of configuration
(fiddling with the autotools/makefiles, which M. Elzubeir and Samy have
written afaik, so here they might be quicker than I to locate any lines to
fix though I suspect it should be pretty trivial anyway) and changing the
inclusion headers in the concerned Akka files (not many of them). My choice
of orbit was precisely because, at the time Akka was written, any machine
running gnome had it so it could run "out of the box", i.e. without the need
to install an additional corba library on most systems. If you are telling
me the "standard" implemention is now orbit2, then like you I'm all for
switching to it.
Let me know if you have any specific problem or question.

Regards,
Chahine