mined - a utf-8 editor

I'd come across mined (a UTF-8 supporting editor) awhile back (April I
think) and had contacted the author about some questions/changes - that's
the short of how I'm involved and why I'm e-mailing this.  I'd wanted
to share the info and to let those on 'developer' out there looking for
a challange to step forward and either hack the added Arabic support or
to lobby for it :-).  I'm not sure how interested Thomas (mined's author)
is in listening to us, but hey there is no harm in asking (again :-)

I'm including the two issues (note second email below) that I saw were
paramount for me to get mined working with Arabic (plus it would simplify
life for others).

How can I use mined eventhough it has no shaping or bidi support ?  Well,
simple -- use mlterm (mlterm.sf.net).  mlterm will do all your shaping
as well as bidi (bi-directionality), thus the only thing that needs to
be done is a way to be able to enter Arabic via the keyboard (ie. the
need for an Arabic keyboard mapping).

Note: most, if not all, Arabic supporting (and utf-8) editors out there
      have their own keymaps (emacs, katoob, vim, yudit, etc).

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:13:02 +0200,
  Thomas Wolff (thomas at towo dot net) wrote:

>                        ANNOUNCEMENT
>
>                    mined 2000 release 4
>
> An editor that is small and easy to use but yet full of capabilities.
> Runs in plain text mode terminals.
> Supports Unicode. Provides mouse control and menus.
> Runs on Unix and DOS/Windows platforms.
>
> Short description
>
>         Good interactive features
>         * an intuitive user interface
>         * command control and pull-down menus available
>         * control and function key or mouse control
>
>         Many useful text editing features
>         * extensive Unicode support, including double-width and
>           combining characters
>         * many text editing capabilities, e.g. paragraph wrapping,
>           smart quotes, multi-line support in search and replacement
>           patterns
>         * program editing features, HTML support and syntax
>           highlighting, identifier search
>         * systematic text and file handling safety, avoiding loss
>           of data
>
>         "Small-footprint" operation and portability
>         * plain text mode (terminal) operation
>         * instant start-up
>         * cross-platform operation (Unix, DOS/Windows)
>
> More information (with screenshots and change log) and download
> are available from the mined web page at
>
>         http://towo.net/mined/

Here is the email noted above with the issues I saw which still
stand as far as I'm concerned.