Re: TeX and Arabic

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:43:49 +0430 (IRST)
Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> > one promising project is FarsiTeX, FarsiTeX is GPLd software being
> > developed in Iran
>
> Yoohoo! That's us!

sorry for all the misinformation I distributed, I'm trying to
find/remember my sources (I'm sure it was not my imagination and
wishful thinking :-)

> > if we manage to get enough arabic developers to contribute we
> > could have the answer
>
> I don't know what kind of answer you're really seeking, but we are
> trying to merge all the FarsiTeX efforts with the main TeX tools,
> including Omega. Since we're targetting Persian, Arabic will get in
> almost automatically.

the answer to having a Free arabic capable TeX/LaTeX system.

I always thought that TeX is the right way to go, building office
suits where you try to put everything in one program and try to invent
new formats for everything seems like a very unUnix way of life to me,
imagine if Office suits used TeX to generate their output, and all the
development was focused on building interface and useful features.
even spreadsheets and what have you could rely on TeX for printed
output.

> > since the project aims at offering user friendly tools with
> > wysiwym and wysiwyg interfaces, it should be easy to support it
> > from within LyX and Docbook when it is ready.
>
> No, it's not, as far as I, FarsiTeX's technical manager, know. We
> will appreciate any effort toward WYSIWY* interfaces, but that's not
> a main goal (or even a goal) of FarsiTeX.

I'm sure I read this somewhere I can't have invented it :-(
maybe I got that impression from the Future Plans part of the projects
homepage, since you need developers to develop a Linux editor I
thought you may already have a windows editor.

anyway keep the good work :-)

cheers,
Alaa
--
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we
ourselves