Re: HWM: Desktop and Menu's

sön 2002-09-08 klockan 01.22 skrev Haydar Net:

> I have checked the site before and i had also changed the desktop/menu
> to be there standards. but they don't give a solution to the location of
> these files.

The proposed vfolder-standard is quite clear on this:

    1) Standard location
    --------------------

    All .desktops are to be installed in a single directory:

    /usr/share/applications/

    Optionally if this is not possible, an application can install in a
    <prefix>/share/applications/

See http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/VFolderDesktops.txt

> I agree with you, this can work for the Desktop files which should be on
> the user home directory but i could not get any good solution for the
> standard "general" menu location. I think that i is better to make a
> link to kde menu's and another link to gnome menu.

Yes, the vfolder stuff is currently only implemented by gnome2 as far as
I know. A solution could be to merge the contents of the directories
/usr/share/applications and /usr/share/applnk.

Since KDE does not include the Categories field, this has to be
calculated based on where a .desktop-file is found.

I am not into the KDE project, so I don't know when/if they will
implement the vfolder spec.

	-Jens