Re: HWM: Desktop and Menu's

Jens Askengren wrote:

lِr 2002-09-07 klockan 14.34 skrev Mohammed Sameer:

I think it'd be better to separate the desk top "~/hwm-desktop" for example
I think it shouldn't be hidden too
About the menus ?
don't know, but i think it's better to separate them too "look at xfce, windowmaker, enlightnement,..." they all separate them i think
but why use those of KDE and not GNOME ? ;)

I would strongly recommend not to create another "standard" for menues and desktop items.

To much time is spent fixing sloppy defaults and bad interoperation when
using unix systems. When installing a new program for example, I have to manually add it to the menues of every desktop system I use...

You are right, and i don't like to make it more defficult for users instead of making it easier, but where should the RPM's put the menu files "in /etc/X11/applnk or /usr/share/applnk"?

Take a look at

http://www.freedesktop.org/

it's a project trying to create standards for X desktops.

I have checked the site before and i had also changed the desktop/menu to be there standards. but they don't give a solution to the location of these files.

On desktop locations:

~/hwm-desktop - Uses a product name rather than a desriptive name
+ Visible in home folder

~/.gnome-desktop
	- Uses a product name rather than a desriptive name.
	- Not visible in home folder
	+ Locallizable: you can put a link in your home folder
	  with a localized name.

~/Desktop
	+ Good name
	+ Visible in home folder
	- Not localizable.

The best might be: if ~/Desktop or ~/.gnome-desktop exists, popup a
dialog informing the user that gnome/kde is detected, and offer to use
the detected desktops settings.

I agree with you, this can work for the Desktop files which should be on the user home directory but i could not get any good solution for the standard "general" menu location. I think that i is better to make a link to kde menu's and another link to gnome menu.

-Jens