Re: katoob does not run!

As for your problem, it sounds like an Exceed setting/problem to me.
It could be that exceed only likes a certain subset of the fonts
(proportional width arabic characters vs. mono-spaced ones); windows
and thus Exceed will use windows' TrueType fonts. My sugestion is
to see if you can use the same TrueType fonts on katoob as the ones
you have on your windows machine. If all else fails, contact hummingbird
about this since its a legit issue which they should include into their
FAQ or help database.

a little comment:
Katoob doesn't react with ttf directly like yudit "that's handled by gtk"
gtk can't find your fonts, Actually i don't have any experience with the Debian internals "failed to get a copy too ;)"
wish to help more, but i think Nadim did it 1st.

Salam,
good news, I have get katoob to work with exceed 7.0 and also vim.
here I will try to declare how do you does that:
1- install the arabic fonts in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
2- you should be sure that path is in the X Font server catalogue ( looking in the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config) .
3- try to check katoob, if it work in the local host. it should work localy first, so you can know that the fonts
has been installed.
4- make xfs listen on tcp port. you should comment in file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config the folowing :
from no-listen = tcp
to #no-listen = tcp
5- start xfs server again. ( note that xfs normaly listen in port 7100 , check /etc/services)
6- now we should configure eXceed to get Fonts from xfs server :
a- run xconfig
b- click Fonts
c- click Font Database
d- then we can Add new Font, when we click Add
e- check in The Font Box the Server choice, that mean fonts is stored on XFS
f- write the server name and choose the right port
g- and click OK
h- close xconfig by choosen always OK
7- we can also have arabic keyboard map for eXceed, which work fine with katoob, because by katoob
virtual keyboard I can not find dal and jem and thal and kaf and all key am the right section of the keyboard . this keyboard map I can email it to the list, if it this allowed
-8 now restart eXceed again and now you can work with katoob. in sha'a allah

by VIM
read the installation from vim, there is no addition to let it work with eXceed, only I can not use exceed
keymap, I can only use keymap from vim which elso has the above problem with me.

In passing, you might also see if you can view any arabic when you
"cat" an arabic utf-8 file within mlterm while using Exceed.
I have not install any arabic Xterm, could you describe it, if it easy to install it.