Fwd: Re: Arabic Shaping Patch

Subject: Re: Arabic Shaping Patch
Date: Thursday 21 November 2002 11:00
From: Helge Hafting <helgehaf at aitel dot hist dot no>
To: Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at arabeyes dot org>

Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> I am not 100% sure what you mean .. but what I exactly mean is:
> the letter ALEF have a shape .. the letter LAM have a shape .. when you put
> the letters LAM_ALEF in that sequance in a word, they will not have the
> shape of LAM+ALEF , but instead they have another shape .. so there will be
> one shape for 2 letters .. here is what I mean ..

Could this be solved with ligatures? I don't know about arabic,
but in latin text the sequence "ffi" is usually replaced with
a "ffi" ligature. (similar for fi, fl, ffl).  Some
fonts have even more ligatures.  A ligature character
usually looks like a "good" concatenation of the characters
that makes it, but this is not a requirement.

Note that ligatures is a font property, so it don't need any
extra support from lyx.  Well, perhaps it is necessary
for displaying on screen, but not for printing or print previewing.

Helge Hafting.