Re: LyX - Arabic Patch

--- Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi arabeyes org> wrote:

[snip snip]

> see the shaping in LyX working fine for Arabic
>
> There is still one issue in LyX shaping that this patch does not address ..
> that is the Complex Letters .. there are some glyphs in Arabic that are a
> combination of 2 letters ( one glyph for 2 letters) .. it highly increase
> readability in a way that it is very nessesary .. I was not sure what to do
> about it, specialy that it may involve heavy changes in other files in Lyx
> that I do not want to combine with simple patch ..
> If you happen to know that there is a way already in Lyx to make 2 letters
> show in the screen as one Glyph please tell me ..

Isam, I know nothing about LyX (its usage or code :-), but you
might want to look into whether LyX supports Korean (Hangul).
Hangul requires the notion of "composing" characters similar to
what the LAM_ALEF requires and so you can play some tricks along
those lines in possibly using pre-existing LyX code.  I'm not sure
if the same thing is also evident/required in Chinese (something
to investigate).  In short, look over the Lyx code and search for
'compose' or 'composing' characters (and see if there is support
for Hangul and/or Chinese, etc).  Various asian languages require
the ability to compose - its then a question of whether LyX supports
those languages or not.

Another thing to also test out and think about regarding LyX is
whether the various 'Tanween' characters will work properly :-)
These two topics are rather related.

Not much help I'm sure, but its a start.