Re: Newbie Introduction [revived]

> Thanks Reda you forget to menetion ddd :), Is there a way to get up to
/me blushing...

> speed with Emacs with all of the above, a single good tutorial or howto
> you have came across ? as I am planing to start using Emacs with the
> bidi support.
Well I've never found/used a tutorial for all these things. But the
thing is that the official GNU emacs manual:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/emacs.html
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/ps/emacs.ps.gz
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/html_chapter/emacs_toc.html

and also the online manual (bash-2.04$ info emacs).
See what! I've just discovered that
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text is awesome!! thanks
list! :)
a collection of manuals concerning the GNU system
http://www.gnu.org/doc/gnupresspub.html
But if you want to discover all the  packages thatr don't come with
emacs, you can simply
apt-cache search emacs , and then read...
And it helps to sometimes, do M-x <some letter> Tab, see what are the
commands available, and
then try them!! :) Works also with bash...
Here are my search results in attachment.
Good luck,
Reda
PS: There has to be some central emacs resource, but didn't look for it
yet...
PS2: Nadim: likes is a weak word :)
--
GCE/E/IT/M/SS !d---(+) s+:+(++:++) a-- C++ ULS++ P+? L+++ E+(++)
W++(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O! M! V! PS+ PE-() Y+(++) PGP! 5! t! R!* b+
DI(+) D!(+++) G e++ h++() r y+(+++++)
 apt-cache search emacs  | sort
ada-mode - Ada mode for GNU Emacs and XEmacs
ae - Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen editor
af - An Emacs-like mail reader and composer.
aleph-emacs - The Aleph programming language - emacs mode
anthy - A Japanese input method (backend, dictionary and utility)
anthy-el - A Japanese input method (elisp fronted)
apel - Portable Emacs Library
aplus-fsf-el - XEmacs lisp for A+ development.
artist - Emacs Lisp drawing package
asn1-mode - Emacs mode for editing ASN.1 specification files
auctex - An integrated environment for writing TeX/LaTeX documents.
auto-pgp - PGP tools for command-line and Emacs use
bbdb - The Insidious Big Brother Database (email rolodex) for Emacs
bigloo-ude - Bigloo Unified Development Environment for Emacs
biomode - [Biology] An Emacs mode to edit genetic data
bitmap-mule - package to use bitmap in MULE or Emacs/mule.
blatte - a powerful text markup and transformation language
c-sig - A signature tool for GNU Emacs
calc - An advanced calculator and mathematical tool for Emacs
canna - A Japanese input system (server and dictionary).
cedicttools - Various tools to use with the CEDict data
chktex - Finds typographic errors in LaTeX
cmail - A mail user agent for GNU Emacs.
cmail-icons - Icons for cmail on XEmacs
cmucl-hemlock - Hemlock emacs-like editor
cmucl-source - The CMUCL lisp sources
crypt++el - Emacs-Lisp Code for handling compressed and encrypted files
css-mode - A Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) editing mode for Emacs
cvs-pcl - Concurrent Versions System Emacs extension (pcl-cvs)
debbugs-el - Access the Debian BTS from within Emacs
debview - Emacs mode for viewing Debian packages
detachtty - Attach/detach from interactive processes across the network
devhelp - A Gnome developers help program.
devhelp-book-autotools - Autotools book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-binutils - Binutils book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-cvs - Cvs book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-emacs - Emacs book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-gdb - GNU Debugger (gdb) book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-ggad - "GGAD" book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-glibc - GNU C Library (glibc) book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-gnome - Gnome books for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-gtk - Gtk+ books for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-gtk2 - Gtk+ 2 books for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-make - A 'make' book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-pygtk2 - PyGtk+ 2 book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-python - Python language book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-book-sdl - Simple DirectMedia Layer book for the DevHelp system
devhelp-books - Books for the DevHelp system
devscripts-el - Emacs wrappers for the commands in devscripts
dictionaries-common - Common utilities and Policy for spelling dictionary tools
dictionary-el - Dictionary Client for Emacs
docbookide - An Emacs Major Mode for Editing DocBook Documents
doxymacs - E-lisp package for making doxygen usage easier under Emacs.
dpkg-dev-el - Emacs-related Debian development helpers
drscheme - Scheme Programming Environment
e3 - A very small editor
ecb - Code browser for several languages for Emacs.
edb - A database program for GNU Emacs
edict-el - An Emacs interface to Edict
eflite - flite based emacspeak speech server
efuns - Emacs Clone (In OCAML)
egg - Tamago Ver. 4 -- EGG Input Method Architecture for Emacsen
eieio - Enhanced Implementation of Emacs Interpreted Objects
eldav - an interface to the WebDAV servers for Emacs.
elib - Library of commonly-used Emacs functions
elisp-manual - Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
elisp-manual-ja - Japanese version of Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
elpoint - Yet another presentation tool on Emacsen
elscreen - Screen for Emacsen
elserv - HTTP server that runs on Emacsen.
emacs-chess - a client and library for playing Chess from Emacs
emacs-chess-pieces - XPM images of chess pieces for emacs-chess
emacs-dl-canna - Canna DL module for emacs20-dl
emacs-dl-wnn - Wnn DL module for emacs20-dl
emacs-goodies-el - Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs
emacs-goodies-extra-el - Miscellaneous add-ons for Emacs -- extra
emacs-intl-fonts - Fonts to allow multi-lingual PostScript printing from Emacs.
emacs-lisp-intro - An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp
emacs-lisp-intro-ja - Japanese version of "Programming in Emacs Lisp: An Introduction"
emacs-manual-ja - Japanese version of the GNU Emacs Manual
emacs-wiki - Maintain a local Wiki using Emacs-friendly markup
emacs20 - The GNU Emacs editor.
emacs20-dl - The GNU Emacs editor. (Dynamic Loading supported)
emacs20-dl-dev - Dynamic Loading GNU Emacs header files. (for emacs20-dl)
emacs20-dl-el - GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files. (for emacs20-dl)
emacs20-el - GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
emacs21 - The GNU Emacs editor.
emacs21-common - The GNU Emacs editor.
emacs21-el - GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
emacs21-nox - The GNU Emacs editor.
emacsen-common - Common facilities for all emacsen.
emacspeak - speech output interface to Emacs
emacspeak-ss - Emacspeak speech server for several synthesizers
erc - an Emacs IRC client
erlang-mode - A major mode for editing Erlang in Emacs
eshell - An Emacs command shell
ess - Emacs statistics mode, supporting R,S and others
etalk - talk client for the Emacs editor
etktab - ASCII guitar tab editor
eudc - Emacs Unified Directory Client
exuberant-ctags - multi-language reimplementation of ctags
fetchmail - POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/forwarder (crypto-crippled binary)
fetchmail-common - POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/forwarder (common files)
fetchmail-ssl - SSL-enabled POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/forwarder
flim - Basic functions for message encoding for Emacsen
gettext-el - Emacs po-mode for editing .po files.
global - Source code search and browse.
gnats - The GNU problem report management system (central database)
gnats-user - The GNU problem report management system (client tools)
gnuplot-mode - Yet another GnuPlot mode for Emacs.
gnus - A versatile News and mailing list reader for Emacsen
gnus-bonus-el - Miscellaneous add-ons for Gnus
gnuserv - Allows you to attach to an already running Emacs
gri-el - a language for scientific illustration.
gtalk - plug-in replacement for standard talk
guile1.4 - The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter.
gwm - The generic window manager.
gwm-doc - The generic window manager documentation.
haskell-mode - A major mode for editing Haskell in Emacs
hns2-tools - Hyper Nikki System tools for editing diary.
honyaku-el - Honyaku-damashii client for emacsen
html-helper-mode - A popular HTML editing mode for emacs
id-utils - Fast, high-capacity, identifier database tool.
idl-font-lock-el - OMG IDL font-locking for Emacs
iiimecf - Internet/Intranet Input Method Emacs Client Framework
ilisp - Package for interacting with LISPs using EMACSes
ilisp-doc - Documentation for ILISP package.
info2man - Convert GNU info files to POD or man pages
inform-mode - Emacs mode for editing Inform files
initz - Handles the switching of various initialization files of emacsen.
ispell - International Ispell (an interactive spelling corrector)
jde - Java Development Environment for Emacs or XEmacs.
joe - user friendly full screen text editor
jove - Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs - a compact, powerful editor.
kate - text editor for KDE
kate-plugins - plugins for Kate, the KDE text editor
kdesdk-scripts - a set of useful development scripts for KDE
language-env - simple configuration tool for native language environment
latte - The Language for Transforming Text (currently to html)
ledit - A line editor for interactive programs.
lg-issue11 - Issue 11 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue16 - Issue 16 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue22 - Issue 22 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue25 - Issue 25 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue26 - Issue 26 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue27 - Issue 27 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue29 - Issue 29 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue31 - Issue 31 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue35 - Issue 35 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue36 - Issue 36 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue39 - Issue 39 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue47 - Issue 47 of the Linux Gazette.
lib-gnu.regexp-java - Regular Expressions for Java
libanthy-dev - Anthy static library, headers and documets for developers.
libanthy0 - Anthy runtime library.
libpcre-ocaml - OCaml bindings for PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression)
libpcre-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expression)
librep9 - an embeddable Emacs-Lisp-like runtime library
libroxen-outline - Outline mode module for the Roxen Challenger web server
libzephyr-dev - The original "Instant Message" system development libraries
liece - IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client for Emacs.
liece-dcc - DCC program for liece.
lookup-el - Search interface to electronic dictionaries by Emacs.
lsdb - The Lovely Sister Database (email rolodex) for Emacs
lyskom-elisp-client - Emacs client for LysKOM.
mailcrypt - An Emacs interface to the GNU Privacy Guard.
malaga-bin - A system for automatic language analysis
manued-el - Minor mode for manued proofreading method
mew - Messaging in the Emacs World
mgm - A highly configurable, very gaudy system load meter
mgp - MagicPoint- an X11 based presentation tool
mh-e - the Gcode translator system for Emacs/Mule
mule2-bin - MULtilingual Enhancement to GNU Emacs -- support binaries
mule2-canna - MULtilingual Enhancement to GNU Emacs. (canna supported)
nasm-mode - NASM mode for XEmacs
ng-cjk - Nihongo MicroGnuEmacs with CJK support.
ng-cjk-canna - Nihongo MicroGnuEmacs with CJK and Canna support.
ng-common - Common files used by ng-* packages.
ng-latin - Nihongo MicroGnuEmacs with Latin support.
nmh - A set of electronic mail handling programs.
nomarch - Unpacks .ARC and .ARK MS-DOS archives
ocaml-core - Objective CAML (metapackage)
octave2.0-emacsen - Emacs support for the GNU Octave language (2.0 branch)
octave2.1-emacsen - Emacs support for the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)
oleo - GNU spreadsheet program
onshore-timesheet-el - Emacs Lisp onShore Timesheet Client
oo-browser - (Emacs) Object Oriented Class Browser
pcomplete - Programmable completion for Emacs
php-elisp - Emacs support for php files.
planner-el - The Emacs Planner
plywood - Playwriting typing and typesetting help.
plywood-elisp - Playwriting typing and typesetting help.
post-el - emacs major mode for editing mail
prcs - The Project Revision Control System
prcs-el - ELisp support for the Project Revision Control System
preview-latex - Render LaTeX equations etc. in an emacs buffer
prom-mew - procmail reader for Mew
proofgeneral - A generic interface for proof assistants
proofgeneral-coq - ProofGeneral support for coq
proofgeneral-doc - Documentation for ProofGeneral in html format
proofgeneral-misc - ProofGeneral support for different theoreom provers
psgml - An Emacs major mode for editing SGML documents.
python-elisp - Emacs-lisp python-mode for the scripting language Python (v2.3)
python2.1-elisp - Emacs-lisp python-mode for the scripting language Python (v2.1)
python2.2-elisp - Emacs-lisp python-mode for the scripting language Python (v2.2)
qemacs - Small emacs clone editor with docbook editing support.
ratpoison - Simple window manager with no fat library dependencies.
rdtool-elisp - Emacs-lisp rd-mode for writing RD document
records-common - Save and index notes in Emacs environment
records-gnuemacs - Save and index notes in Emacs environment
records-xemacs - Save and index notes in Emacs environment
remembrance-agent - Emacs mode to help find relevant texts
ri-cs-el - an emacs interface for ri
ri-db-el - an emacs interface for ri
ruby-elisp - Emacs-lisp ruby-mode for Ruby
ruby1.7-elisp - Emacs-lisp ruby-mode for Ruby.
sather-mode - Emacs mode for editing Sather programs
sawfish - A window manager for X11.
scribe-el - Emacs editing mode files for scribe
sdic - Emacs-Lisp program to view dictionaries
search-ccsb-el - An emacs interface to search-ccsb
semantic - A lexer, parser-generator, and parser written in elisp
semantic-beta - A lexer, parser-generator, and parser written in elisp
semi - Library to provide MIME feature for GNU Emacs.
skk - Simple Kana to Kanji conversion program
sml-mode - A major Emacs mode for editing Standard ML.
speedbar - Dired on steroids
speedbar-beta - Dired on steroids
sylpheed - Light weight e-mail client with GTK+
tads2-mode - Emacs mode for editing TADS code
tdtd - Emacs major mode for editing SGML and XML DTDs
texmacs - WYSIWYG emacs-ish mathematical text editor, using tex fonts
timidity-el - An Emacs front end to the timidity software-only MIDI sequencer.
tkmail - X Window System mail reader using Tcl/Tk
tnt - An AIM client for Emacs.
toolbar-fancy - Fancy toolbar for XEmacs21
tramp - Remote file access in emacs.
trr19 - A type training software on GNU Emacs.
ttcn-el - GNU Emacs modes for TTCN-3/protocol testing languages.
ttyrec - A tty recorder
tuareg-mode - An emacs-mode for ocaml programs.
txt2regex - A Regular Expression "wizard", all written with bash2 builtins
tzc - Trivial Zephyr Client
user-es - Settings for Spanish speaking users
user-ja - simple configuration tool for Japanese environment
verilog-mode - Emacs mode for verilog language
vile - VI Like Emacs - vi work-alike
vile-common - VI Like Emacs - support files for vile/xvile
vile-filters - VI Like Emacs - highlighting filters for vile/xvile
vimacs - Emacs emulation for Vim
vm - A mail user agent for Emacs
w3-doc-e20 - Documentation for w3-el.
w3-doc-e21 - Documentation for w3-el-e21.
w3-el-e20 - Web browser for GNU Emacs 20
w3-el-e21 - Web browser for GNU Emacs 21
w3-lisp-e20 - Elisp source for w3-el web browser
w3-lisp-e21 - Elisp source for w3-el web browser
w3-url-e21 - URL library for use by w3-el-e21
w3-url-lisp - URL library for use by w3-el-e21 (Lisp source)
w3m-el - a simple Emacs interface of w3m
wemi - Branch of SEMI kernel package using widget.
whizzytex - a WYSIWIG environment for LaTeX
windows-el - Window manager for GNU Emacs
wl - Yet Another Message Interface On Emacsen.
wl-beta - Yet Another Message Interface On Emacsen. (beta branch)
wnn7egg - Wnn-nana-tamago -- EGG Input Method with Wnn7 for Emacsen
x-face-el - XFace utility for GNU Emacs.
x-pgp-sig-el - X-PGP-Sig mail and news header utility for Emacs.
x-symbol - WYSIWYG TeX mode for XEmacs
xae - XML Authoring Environment for Emacs
xemacs21 - Editor and kitchen sink
xemacs21-basesupport - Editor and kitchen sink -- compiled elisp support files
xemacs21-basesupport-el - Editor and kitchen sink -- source elisp support files
xemacs21-bin - Editor and kitchen sink -- support binaries
xemacs21-gnome-mule - Editor and kitchen sink -- Mule binary
xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn - Editor and kitchen sink -- Mule binary compiled with canna and wnn
xemacs21-gnome-nomule - Editor and kitchen sink -- Non-mule binary
xemacs21-mule - Editor and kitchen sink -- Mule binary
xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn - Editor and kitchen sink -- Mule binary compiled with canna and wnn
xemacs21-mulesupport - Editor and kitchen sink -- Mule elisp support files
xemacs21-mulesupport-el - Editor and kitchen sink -- source elisp support files
xemacs21-nomule - Editor and kitchen sink -- Non-mule binary
xemacs21-support - Editor and kitchen sink -- architecture independent support files
xemacs21-supportel - Editor and kitchen sink -- non-required library files
xfonts-bitmap-mule - ETL 16dot bitmap font for X
xfonts-kapl - APL fonts for A+ development
xfonts-thai-etl - Thai etl fonts for X
xjove - X11-Frontend for jove - a compact, powerful editor.
xslide - XSL editing mode for Emacs.
xvile - VI Like Emacs - vi work-alike (X11)
yatex - Yet Another LaTeX mode
yc-el - Yet another Canna client for Emacsen.
yorick - interpreted language and scientific graphics
zenirc - Major mode for wasting time
zile - a very small emacs-like editor