Re: Fwd: Bidi In Konsole

On Saturday 04 May 2002 23:57, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> Hi Meni,
>   Well mlterm uses fribidi for bidi support (http://fribidi.sf.net) it
> would be great to have konsole implemeting fribidi to have bidi ..

Well, KDE uses Qt's bidi implementation, so obviously Konsole won't use
fribidi but Qt's implementation instead. It works just fine throughout KDE,
but Konsole is a special case. I guess it would just need some
Konsole-specific fixes. I was just wondering how well mlterm or any other
terminal handles bidi.

> Infact I am using konsole with KDE3 and it fails to do arabic .. don't know
> why .. doesn't it use QT3 widgets ?

It uses KDE's widgets, so it should technically work. It doesn't work at all?
Have you had any reports of success with Arabic in KDE 3.0's Konsole?

> Anyhow .. off topic, what happened to the QT message wrap issue, do you
> know it did reach ? it is quite effecting KDE an Arabic ..

I haven't heard any news about it. qt-copy in the KDE CVS was updated a few
days ago to a snapshot of Qt 3.0.4. I tried it, but I haven't noticed any
special changes with regard to RTL languages.

While we're on the subject of bidi problems, it's a shame that the Kate text
editor doesn't support bidi and probably won't support it even in KDE 3.1.
Too bad nobody volunteered to help the author of the program to add bidi
support to it. I myself just don't have the coding knowledge to do it.

On the same subject, I don't know if you noticed, but KOrganizer in KDE 3.0
has some serious problems with RTL languages which cause it to be practically
unusable with these languages, as seen in this bug report:
http://bugs.kde.org/db/41/41693.html

I fixed the majority of these problems for KDE 3.0.1, as you can see at:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=102033100400003&r=1&w=2
But unfortunately a few issues remain, but at least it's partially usable now.

Regards.