Re: Arabic & emacs

Nadim Shaikli writes:

>  1. I'm afraid we didn't see any attached code (there were no
>     attachments in your email) unless I misunderstood something.

>     You seem to talk about two codes - one that hasn't been
>     released yet and another that was attached.  Could you
>     elaborate on each and their intent/difference if any ?
>     I'm a bit confused in that regard.

Sorry, my English was misleading.  I did not attach any code to the
previous email.  The words in the quotation marks described how I
had filled the application form to get permission: I asked permission
to release _a_ (not _the_) code that supports Arabic script.  In other
words, I asked permission without specifying a concrete code.  (Well,
the application form did not require specifying a concrete code.)
Which means, I can release the latest code at the time I get the
permission.

>  2. Is there a URL/page on this subject anywhere with which
>     we can track progress (I feel horrid with regards of
>     constantly bothering ya ;-)

That's what _I_ really want to have. :-)

>  3. What package is required for the code that you've developed
>     for Arabic support ?  Is it still under Leim/Quail or it
>     is under some other native support ?

It works fine with quail.  In addition to that, it works fine with a
new, simpler input method that I wrote recently.  You will have the
both once I get the permission.

> With the recent bidi discussion,

>   http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-bidi/2002-June/thread.html

I am a subscriber of the list.

> it doesn't look like Bidi will be available anytime soon (unless
> someone volunteers, hint hint arabeyes people :-) yet there was
> a very interesting screenshot,

>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DisplayEngineForArabic

Yes, this is a screenshot produced by the code for which I am asking
permission to release.

> The screenshot notes both correct Arabic and English (eluding at
> the usage of bidi).  Was there Bidi involved ?

A very simple and stupid bidi engine is used there.  The engine does
not support nested bidi (e.g. digits embedded in an Arabic phrase
quoted in an English sentence).

> Could we see more screenshots (URL/site) ?

OK, you can proceed to Lesson 2 and Lesson 3.  :-)

  http://www.m17n.org/ntakahas/arabic2.png

You can also learn the Kazakh language, if you want.

  http://www.m17n.org/ntakahas/kazakh1.png
  http://www.m17n.org/ntakahas/kazakh2.png

BTW, the fonts used in the screenshots are made by me, too.  Do you
have any advice to improve it?

--
TAKAHASHI Naoto
ntakahas at m17n dot org