Re: a new project 'quran'

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:20:40 +0300,
  "Mohammed Yousif" <mhdyousif gmx net> wrote:

> I would like to mention a very new project called "The Holy Qur'an Program",
> it's a project in C++ using Qt3 libraries with features less than minimum
> for such a project.
>
> It can only display the Holy Qur'an text and read them using mp3 files.
> The Qur'an text is in XML/Utf-8
>
> Here is a screenshot of it :
>   http://mhdyousif.hypermart.net/quran/quranprog.png
>
> You can get The required files here (Sources - Slackware tarballs - RPMS):
>   http://mhdyousif.hypermart.net/quran

Mr. Yousif, its wonderful to see you back and active :-)  keep it up !!

I have a suggestion -- are you looking or considering creating (or porting)
this program to non-Qt3 type of environments.  What I'm getting at is, it
would be wonderful if such a program would exist and function properly
without dependence on Qt3 and/or Pango/Gtk.  This might be a new area for
you (and us :-), but it might be a good place to start a discussion along
those lines regarding how to go about doing something like that (I know it
might be considered reinventing the wheel and that it might not sit well with
many, but if you are looking to reach a wider audience and possible learn
something new - this might be cool to look into :-).  The X draw widgets are
all over the place (ie. to tell us how to map windows and how to move them
and what sort of notifications need to be sent to the window managers, etc
by looking at source code in xterm/mlterm/vim/and-a-million-other-programs).

Just a thought & again welcome back.