Re: RTL in curses

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:19:43AM +0300, Ahmad Alhashemi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading around about the right-to-left projects and seen lots of
> screenshots.
>
> It seems that most of the RTL implementatins work on the terminal side, like
> PuTTY. This might cause some trouble as new programs are developed everyday

Yes, that is the 'shorter' route to Arabizing utf-8 enabaled console-based
applications. Unfortunately, it's not perfect ;)

> with ideas not haveing RTL into account leading to broken screens. To solve
> this problem I think curses and ncurses should be extended with more
> features allowing the programs based on them to be more RTL aware. After
> that we must advocate the usage of these extensions, so that developers all
> over the world can take some measurements that will prevent RTL problems
> from appearing at all.

Certainly. Of course bidi-enabled terminals can operate in bidi or non-bidi modes,
so disabling it would be the easy way to go when such conflicts begin to arise.

> Have anybody work on that before?

Not to my knowledge. But it's been sitting on the TODO list:
  http://www.arabeyes.org/cvsweb/ae_admin/TODO_global?cvsroot=Local

You are more than welcome to take it up and get started ;) Many on this list
have worked with related issues and will be more than happy to lend
a helping hand.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: