Fwd: [ Private ] Re:Quran license

Subject: [ Private ] Re:Quran license
Date: Saturday 28 December 2002 08:58
From: mahin at linuxchopal dot com
To: md at mt dot web dot id
Cc: shaikli at yahoo dot com, mhdyousif at gmx dot net

Salaam!

May God bless you all for what you are doing and guide you in making correct
choices.

As a person I support and promote GPL [ even with my own money and time ] yet
as regards to Holy Quran I am bit more concerned.

Perhaps it is my background [ I am Pakistani ] that invoke unknown fears but
then we have to face the problems of Ahmedis and what they did by way of mis-
representing entire thing with little changes [ Tahrief ] in few words.

Please do not make your work GPL we do not know as yet what problems it might
help cause in future. Make it OpenSource= Yes, Keep it Free=Yes but not GPL
when any one can do a little change and hi-jack whole thing.

Agreed GPL will ensure that such efforts are not kept hidden but here we are
not discusing about any other run of the mill software. What you are doing is
going to survive long after every one of us has gone, while this will ensure
that you go on earning rewards from Allah but then you have to be extra
carefull about what Licence you choose.

Please think of some thing like Alladin licence and think if possible to
 bestow the rights to the majority so that we create some thing through which
 we could fight any attempt for change in text [ Tahrief ] in the name of
 freedom of expression or some intelectual rights. While I am not a
 practicing lawyer but I did studied Law and after observing how things are
 interpreted later on, I would recomment using some caution. Do not rush the
 decision, if you need to have licence now then make it propritory favouring
 developers with time limit.

What I mean is that this propritory licence must expire at certain date
 before that a new licence [ which needs to be created ] must come into
 existance else it will become GPL.

Adopting this approach will protect the code, give us time to discuss this
 with those who know more about it and if after thorough discussion it is
 discovered that GPL is the right way to go then nothing will be lost.

I am sorry for this long message but I wanted to express my view so that you
are aware of it. I am not posting this to the list as it might start some
 thing we never intended. However I am taking liberty of including Mr.Shaikli
 among the receipients so that he is aware of what is being proposed. If
 there is any merit in any of my points then any one among the recepiants of
 this message can post to the list, where I will also respond if I can
 contribute any thing.

Thanking you for your time in reading this message, please ignore this if you
feel that I am only imagining things.

Allah Hafiz,

Tariq.