Re: libquran: Speex VS Vorbis (again)

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 12:44, Ossama Khayaat wrote:
> WOW! This is excellent.
> I downloaded and tested the samples. It's really amazing.
> I'll start creating the files in .spx but what program can i use? :)
>
> Ossama
Sorry for not noticing your email at the first place.
Please don't use HTML in your future mailings to the list as not all people
use 'HTML-able' clients or have 'HTML-Rendering' enabled.

.spx is an ogg file encoded with 'speexenc' from libspeex package
So please record the audio files using the program of your choice to
generate WAV with these specs:
1-stereo
2-32khz

I'm not sure what program works best for recording WAVs, but I guess
you will be able to pick a good one (on Linux:KRec, on Windows:Total
Recorder,SuperSonic and JetAudio) please, record using the one that gives
the best results

After you record a WAV, you will end up witn a file, let's say it's
s001a001.wav for Al-Fatha, Verse 1
Just download libspeex from http://www.speex.org and compile/
install it:
tar -zxvf speex-1.0beta3.tar.gz
cd speex-1.0beta3
./configure
make
sudo make install

After that you can use 'speexenc' to encode the WAVs you recorded
into .spx files:
speexenc --quality 5 --vbr s001a001.wav s001a001.spx
Please make sure to use the '--vbr' option and the '--quality 5' option
This is to make sure the recording is good quality while maintaining a
reasonable file size.

I also suggest you apply for a CVS account, so you can 'commit' the files
you recorded (that is, you record 10 files in a session and commit them
so we can use them even before you complete recording the whole Qur'an)

I hope that was helpful and thanks for your interest in that,
may God help you in this job :-)
--
Mohammed Yousif
"She is in my mind and soul, I love her with all my heart and blood".