Re: more on Duali

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 07:24:54AM -0400, Kareem M Darwish wrote:
> AA,

Salam,

> 	I am currently out of town, so I can't help you immediately.  I
> have stemmer (written in Perl) that removes common prefixes and suffixes
> without any linguistic knowledge and I have a full morphological analyzer

How does it give accurate results in? Using the same example I gave? I will
play with it when I get off work.

> that would attempt to produce the exact stem (removing prefixes and
> suffixes).  Depending on the application, one might be better than the
> other.  For information retrieval (search engine) purposes the stemmer

Well the application in this case is to generate a compact dictionary. That
is, to avoid creating a dictionary with millions of words when you can cut
that size dramatically by storing derivative possibilities of each root in the
dictionary.

Then Duali in turn would use this dictionary and in effect perform the
opposite operation.

> that uses NO linguistic knowledge is MUCH better.
> 	You can find both at:
> 	www.glue.umd.edu/~kareem/research

Oh cool.. didn't know about that link ;)

> 	If you have more questions just e-mail me.

I most certainly will have more questions ;)

Thanks
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir