Re: Focus

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 04:03, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> I don't think we are dysfunctional, but sometimes seem non-functional ;)

I think you mean malfunctioning ;-)  OK, ok enough silliness...

> > In general I'd like to add (a bit more detail),
> >
> >  - Taking ownership of things assigned to one so that the issue doesn't
> >    lapse and become an issue again (ie. track your todos any which way
> >    you like, but get them done and finish-up the task)
> >
> >  - Speedier attention/replies to outside contact is needed
> >
> >  - Speedier attention to project hosting is needed
> >
> >  - A bit more involvement in a timely manner on the mailing-lists esp.
> >    when general Arabeyes issues are involved (means lists need to be
> >    inspected and read at least every 2-3 days).
>
> I'm not so sure about this. I mean, hey, there a lot of people on the
> lists. For example, I always reply to something that is directed toward
> me or something that is relevant to what I am doing. Relevance is the
> key here. I can't (and don't expect others here) to respond to every
> other email that goes unanswered. It is the nature of mailing-lists.
> Sometimes you send out an email and no one is interested in responding
> to it.

Well, not every email, but there are instances where people are most
certainly not going in the right direction and/or are asking questions
in general terms (lots of those lately on 'doc' for instance) that most
certainly need attention.  Simply put, keep in mind that we continue to
need to direct and assist people.

> An example of this, I don't read emails related to the Quran project. I
> am simply not interested in the whole project and don't see why I should
> be. There are those who are and they keep this subject alive because it
> interests them. I am sure everyone has their interests and inclinations.

That's fine - but when someone comes and says they are implementing a
Java client (which our CVS already has one) that should have risen
flags with multiple people so much so that it should have been noted
to the author "hey, don't duplicate work - complete what's been started
instead".  I'm not interested in BiCon for instance, but I do read every
post on it in the slight case that there might be something I can say
or do to help (the OOo sanity script is another example, etc).  Again
its not such much the need to pour hours into something you have no
interest in as much as having a touch of letting people know how to
proceed and the occasional injection of direction and advice.

> >  - Overall more involvement and less delays on our TODOs (how about
> >    if a person can only delay his todo twice else he gets eaten by
> >    parana's :-)
>
> This is a little tricky. I am all for it, but how would you recommend
> implementing an '.. or else..' ? Yelling and screaming alone is enough?

We all know that there isn't much we can do except scream bloody murder
and hope the person on the other end is shamed into action (I know that
works with me when someone puts me on the spot and says "well you said
you'd be done, but you are not - what's up ?").

> Also, what kind of TODO's have acceptable delays and what others don't?

Well, its not such much acceptable delays.  Assume you tell me "can you
pretty please do A for me" (yeah, far fetched I know :-) and I say sure.
You then tell me "when", by me specifying the date I estimate a reasonable
span of time in which I think I can do this in - if that date spills then
I should be able to delay once and once only again by me setting a date
(in case some issues were discovered) -- the date setting is entirely in
my hands and so its not a forced unrealistic set date.  You know why I'm
saying this, right ?  We have plenty of TODOs that look "fresh" when in
reality they've been there for like months (those need to be dealt with
harshly and fast).

Are we getting anywhere with this discussion - are we reaching a decent
comfort level to know that we will proceed in a more proactive manner ?
Have we defined enough things so that we don't slip into coma again ?
Again this was/is meant as a wake-up call for all of us - have we been
scared enough into action and into really straightening out for good ?

Anmar/Youcef, thoughts/comments ?