Re: Focus

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:17:16AM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Guys, I feel like a broken, thrashed record in repeating myself over

Here we go...

> and over.  We MUST focus on getting things done.  Emails must be answered,
> registrations (CVS and otherwise) need attention; meeting minutes/agendas

i am not sure what the problem is with CVS. I have repeatedly said this.
If CVS access is needed, it needs to be filed as a bug report.
Otherwise, I simply ignore them. If someone wants to take over my role
and create accounts (like you, Nadim, seem to be doing), then, hey, suit
yourself. I have also repeatedly said, let me do that and I promise to
be very prompt about it.. however, that rarely seems to be the case, as
with most new accounts, it seems that I am the last to know (only
through a cvs notification email about the 'writers' file modified).

To be very frank and open about this -- this by itself does put me off
doing other things in Arabeyes. The only reason people should need to
take over the cvs admin role is when I am _away_ for long periods. A day
or 2 delay is not a big deal (and that is not even the average.. but
worst case scenario) -- other projects take weeks.

> need to be completed a day or two after the meeting (these delays are NOT

Yes, minutes should be done that soon. It is my fault to set the bar so
low after you.

> acceptable); in short we need to be on the ball.  We run the risk of really
> doing more harm than good by sitting about and pretending and thinking that
> things will manage themselves.

I think you are over-romanticizing our role here. Arabeyes is, for the
most part on auto-pilot. What I propose we do is completely redefine the
role of 'core'.

> I've said this before - if there is no longer interest in doing the work
> that 'core' members are supposed to be engaged in, then we need to solve
> that issue by addressing it.

I have also said that I am starting to feel worn out. Core should only
be involved and engaged in 'management'. Anything outside of that should
be up for grabs for any Arabeyes volunteer. I am not sure we should be
discussing a particular project's status unless we are reviewing every
project's status.. I don't think we should be doing a lot of things we
do in our meetings. You want to talk about focus, here is some focus for
ya, stick to management for 'core'. We are not supermen, and like Anmar
has said, everyone has a different set of priorities. I may not have a
family to love and cherrish <wink, wink> .. but for example, not having
Internet connectivity at home is _really_ negatively affecting my
contribution.

> Arabeyes is in a critical stage and is on the verge of _really_ taking off
> as we've proved a number of things that were seemingly impossible.  We all
> (including first and foremost me) need to step-up and think about how to
> grow this operation and how to attain and foster progress.
>
> And for the record - we are all busy, but its a question of

A question of just how busy ;) I am extremely busy -- yes, I'm trying to
make a living.. my current job simply doesn't pay enough and I am
engaged in several contract type of projects. Not having a net
connection at home means that my input is degraded by 75% at least.
There's very little I can do about that until I get one at home.. and
with my current income, it's not going to happen for at least a couple
of months. Sorry, it's just reality.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |