Re: Focus

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
Guys, I feel like a broken, thrashed record in repeating myself over
and over.  We MUST focus on getting things done.  Emails must be answered,
registrations (CVS and otherwise) need attention; meeting minutes/agendas
need to be completed a day or two after the meeting (these delays are NOT
acceptable); in short we need to be on the ball.  We run the risk of really
doing more harm than good by sitting about and pretending and thinking that
things will manage themselves.

I don't believe that people are pretending. We are all doing the best we can. I do agree that more could be done but not by core. I think the only way we can move Arabeyes forward is to attract more people to work on projects. One thing I see is that we have some bottle necks in the processs. For example, CVS wrtite access should be administered by one person but share the know how with other core members. The same goes for sys admin, which a lot of people collaborate on.

I've said this before - if there is no longer interest in doing the work that 'core' members are supposed to be engaged in, then we need to solve that issue by addressing it.

From my point of view, I think there is way too much work for 4 volunteers. We can not lose track of the fact that we do Arabeyes work cause we consider it fun and challenging. Yes you can have fun and be committed. I recommend that we take a long hard look at our responsibilities and prioritise our tasks. Having a huge TODO will only discourage us and make Arabeyes feel more like a chore.

Arabeyes is in a critical stage and is on the verge of _really_ taking off as we've proved a number of things that were seemingly impossible. We all (including first and foremost me) need to step-up and think about how to grow this operation and how to attain and foster progress.

This is a very important point. I could not agree more. Arabeyes is about to explode all over the IT sector in the ME. One aspect of our existence that we did not look at in detail is PR and advertising. I suggest we have a bit of chat about this and brain storm so we can develop an agenda. Of course this is part of the long term goals Arabeyes has planned. A refresher would be a good idea also.

And for the record - we are all busy, but its a question of

Question of what ?? :). I can tell you that I am trying my best, although is seem hard to believe :)

I take Arabeyes very seriously but as much as I love Arabeyes and what it stands for, I love my family more. Therefore, my priority will always be family, then career then Arabeyes. I am sure that we are all working as much as we can, but the problem we have is fundamental: No New Blood. We need people who are willing to take on new tasks and see them through... hehe.. I started sounding like a broken record too :)

I am open to an honest discussion with some goals in mind.

Anmar