Re: Update from Casablanca

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 23:27 -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > > Not sure there is much we can do there beyond looking into, again,
> > > the need to translate into Arabic some of our static webpages (it
> > > would have been ideal if we were able to generate .POT files of our
> > > website to turn that into a project :-)
>
> Nah, we dont have to do that. If we pool all possible output messages
> that could be displayed to the user on our website into
> output.inc.php, we can then just make a different copy of that file
> with the text strings in Arabic. We can also have the gents here in
> Linux-Maroc also make a French version, if they're interested.

I think it's more complicated than that since alot of our content is
in mySQL, etc.

> > I think it's time we seriously consider moving to Plone then. It's
> > on my new year's resolutions list (it's not that long ;)
>
> Can you list the benifits? Sell this like you really want it :-)

I'm sure we'll talk about this - but we need to make sure that all our
current services/setups will be supported and we'll have to make sure
that whatever becomes the new website can/will be maintained.  The
maintainership is a major issue though (how many people know PHP vs.
those that know/like Python :-)

> > I think we also need to exert some extra effort in retaining interested
> > talent and not bog them down with canned replies to registrations alone.
>
> Agreed. We should take a more human-like approach to replying to
> newly-registered members.

We're short-staffed and we simply can't do that.  The best we can
(and should) do is to have people be routed to various project
maintainers for "them" to take ownership of new registrants
(something we talked about in brief awhile back and should
settle once our meetings restart).

> > From what I'm reading, you've done a super job.

Agreed.  Thanks for stepping-up to the challenge(s).