Re: Arabbix & Gitex

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
alam Gents.  The time has come for us to seriously scurry and get
cracking on Arabbix.  I've contacted Gitex about them helping us
and got nothing back (typical).  Gitex will be held in Dubai this
month from the 19th to the 23rd.

I propose we do the following (in parallel),

+ Complete 0.5 and all later revisions __ASAP__ (Anmar ?)

Done

 + Get approx 5,000 CDs designed & printed
   - We'll need an Artistic CD print with some space held aside
     for possibly including other .com/.org mentions

Who do you have in mind ?

   - We'll need to find someone to either finance this operation
     and/or simply volunteer to do the printing in return for a
     advertising on the CD (ie. we include their logo and URL).
     The Egypt LUG might be of assistance as they have magazine
     contacts, etc (but this is VERY short notice).

do you need help arranging any contacts ?

 + We need to advertise the heck out of this once we know we can
   really get it done.

How? and where ? and with whome ? We should make some banners.

 + We'll need to have foot-soldiers at the doors giving these CDs
   to those interested (with a banner noting 'Arabeyes.org - Arabic
   Linux' or similar).

The biggest hurtle (apart from the actual CD being ready and tested, which Anmar thinks will happen - by the 10th we all hope, right ?)

sure.. no pressure.... :). I am working really hard at it. Arabbix 0.5 is head over heals better than 0.4 and I am working toward the 10th and I will do my best to meat it with 1.0 release.

is
getting it manufactured and in hand for the 19th.  We really need to
call and contact all companies and printing shops to see if they can
lend a helping hand.  Ideally a print shop would simply do it all for
us in return for advertising or similar (any thoughts ?).

We don't have much time and I'm VERY surprised at the lack of urgency
on this topic (let's not do this anymore please and learn from the
evolution party and be prepared WAY ahead of time).

So who is doing what and how best to proceed ?

I will get moty and samy to make some banners and give them to isam to put on linux4arab and egypt LUG.

I will call my dad's friend who is rich and has a high tech company. See if they can give us money or suggest something ( no promises)

I have 150 CDN I can contribute (sorry that is all I have . Sold my winter bike last week)