Fwd: Quran Translations help

Isam, since this is so important and since Maher has noted not getting
a reply from them on a different topic - could you please translate this
to your Perfect Arabic ;-) and mail them to the same email address (note
to them which encoding you'll use, etc).  This issue needs to be resolved
sooner rather than later.

Salam & Thanks.

 - Nadim

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://calendar.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
Asalamu 3laykum,

A number of us volunteers are working on bringing the ability to read the
Holy Quran to linux/unix (this is an open source project),

  http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Quran

and we were wondering if there is such a thing as a "certified" translation
of the Quran ?  There are a number of translations (english,russian,urdu,etc)
on the web but we fear that they might be "ta7reef" and not proper (we simply
don't know and are opting to err on the side of safety).  We fear we might be
unintentionally spreading misinformation.  For instance,

  http://islamicity.com/mosque/quran/#Translations

offers a number of sites - are those proper sites (they all point elsewhere
outside of islamicity) and should we be bundling that data with our efforts ?
In short, is there a forum or an organization that "certifies" or at a
minimum approves of translations ?  If so, how can we contact them and if
not - why not and shouldn't there be one (isn't it in the best interest of
Islam to have one) ?  What do various "da3eya" use in their "da3wa" in various
countries ?  Isn't the translated text used approved or inspected somehow by
a trusted entity ?  What is proper of us to do in terms of our project from
the stand point of fiqh ?

We had posted this same exact question above to islam-online.net and didn't
really receive an answer (we were told to contact you, do also please forward
to whomever you see fit as well - this is an important issue to us and we
want to get it right)

  http://www.islam-online.net/fatwaapplication/english/fatwatoken.asp
  Reference Number: KTR4MR

I also noticed that your outstanding organization also offers its own
translations on your website,

  http://www.qurancomplex.org

Since you are the ultimate authority with regards to this topic, could we
get an electronic copy of all the languages (including Arabic) you host
(a text/XML/HTML file would be ideal) ?  We would be extremely happy to
simply use what you offer (the 6 translations and the Arabic original).
Do please let us know if this is possible as it would answer _all_ our
questions.

Jazakum Allah khyran.