Re: Kuwait Linux proposal

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 03:44:20PM +0200, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> Salam ..
> I guess you read Kuwait Linux's email .. here is a glimpse of what they said:

A glimpse? How about the full message ;)

> > Following the SOS message you posted last two days, we decided to
> > participate in the translation of KDE 3.1. For this aim, we will establish
> > enshallah an Arabization department with a number of dedicated full-time
> > translators and one or more programmers to finish the translation within 2
> > to three moths. This department will be under my supervesion. What we would
> > like to emphasis here is that Kuwait Linux will participate in the
> > translation provided that:
> > 1) KDE mentions "Kuwait Linux" in the list of translators on their web site
> > 2) Arabeyes mentions "Kuwait Liux" in the list of translators on their web
> > site.
>
> Here is my thoughts about it:
> - If the quality of their translation is good I guess that this is a very good
> offer.
> - About mentioning Kuwait Linux in the KDE translators page. There is no such
> page in KDE .. the page in KDE indicate the coordinators and there is
> Elzubeirs name and my name .. what we can tell them, that they can add their
> name in the PO files that they work on.. as in most PO files there is a
> string for Translator's name, and email .. this name and email shows in the

They can the translator's name, and not the company/group's name. I would also
not list them on the KDE page -- unnecessary fragmentation. Besides, from an
Arabeyes point of view -- we want companies such as this to be satisfied with
association with Arabeyes. In other words, Linux Kuwait would like to receive
something in return to their investment (and rightfully so). Pointing to
Arabeyes and saying they have participated in that, should be, satisfying (we
should be that good ;). So we have to at least be convincing, and speak from
that point when we receive requests such as this.

> About box of that application when it is using the Arabic Interface.
> - About Mentioning Kuwait Linux in Arabeyes translator's list .. no harm with
> that .. after all, all translators have their name in the list, either they
> are individuals or companies.

Sure. If they have people working full-time, that is considered a
'private-sector'-support to Arabeyes. The least we can do is give them a
little mention on the KDE-i18n page and a 'related links' link.

> Issues to consider:
> - Arabeyes will be the only one with the access to the KDE CVS for the
> kde-i18n-ar module, meaning that the last commit is for Arabeyes from
> Arabeyes.

Most certainly. We are still very much in 'centralization' mode. Simply stress
the fact that we are doing all this to maintain a centralized methodology.

> - Kuwait Linux will be part of the translators team, in the doc list, working
> and coordinating with other translators.
> - They should use the Arabeyes CVS, branching splitting is not something that
> is advised.

Agreed. All this will and must be done by the localization coordinator (be it
you or someone else -- and for that matter, the l10n coordinator may delegate
project-specific roles to anyone he/she deems appropriate).

> - They are urged to look upon the KDE documentation (after finishing KDE
> Interface), and Gnome Arabic Translation Project.

Let's just let them do what they have offered and see if they deliver on-time.

> Here is some of my thoughts .. it would be really helpful if this works, but
> hopfully with the atmosphere of coordination..

This is generally excellent news ;) Of course, we can always try to
compromise, but I think the above is quite reasonable.

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir