IBM & patches

Now that I have a minute - could someone explain to me what IBM's
role in the Open Source is all about ?  Is it me or are they into
creating patches for the heck of it - or are they releasing things
under their own license ?  Why put resources into something that will
not be used ?

The reason I ask this is due to the two recent episodes with OpenOffice
(OO) and Wine - in both cases, code/patches were created and "leaked" but
not incorporated into the project's main trunk.

Is there anything that we can do (or people we can contact) to note these
issues ?  Certainly the people at /. and K5 would have a field day with
this news as it would serve as a blemish on IBM's roadmap in the Open
Source Arena (they've been a loud advocate if memory serves).  Could the
two contacts in .il serve as bridges to getting the real story on what
they are doing -- I've attempted to contact a number of people in IBM .eg
without so much as a "got your email note".

Just curious; any thoughts (do we have any solid contacts within IBM) ?