Re: More funding

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 08:09:34PM +0200, Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> Salam there...
>   Today I met Daoud Kuttab, manager of AmmanNet Radio (www.ammannet.net). he
> is interested in funding one of our projects that may need funding. paying
> money for a full timer to work on the project they choose. I gave him a look
> into the 'same-old' project list. It seems that it was too technical for him.
> I told him that we will provide him with an updated project list, and let
> them see what project they may be interested in funding. It seems that the
> funding is not coming from him or his Radio Station, but from an organization
> back in the states that fund OpenSource Projects. He is aware that the
> outcome of any project will be in Open Source license, and he welcomes that
> and would be glad to have that.

That's pretty good stuff ;) You've definitely been keeping busy ;)

>   Now he need some signs from Arabeyes that make him feel more comfortable,
> such as he thinks that it is not good that Arabeyes is not registered
> anywhere as an organization, I told him that we are in the process of solving
> that, so he suggested that registering it in Jordan as a Charity Org may fit.
> I am not sure about that, I will return to my Friend lawyer for that.

As soon as I get to Bahrain, I will research the possibilities of doing it in
the UAE right away. That is my country of choice to register it in. I will also
have access to a lot of lawyers (friends of the family) who will be able
to give me good advice. Until then, I don't recommend we do anything about it.

>   Now the other commitment he want from Arabeyes, is to finish the project or
> reach the agreed upon status within the previously agreed upon deadline, he
> liked to call it community deliver time :-) I tried to insure him that this
> would not be a probelm. He wants us (me in Amman) to sign some papers for
> commitment to deliver. I am not sure about that now, but I am sure that I
> will not sign any papers unless I am sure that the deliver time is
> reachable:-) don't blame me ..

Well, 2 things come to mind:
  1. KDE/GNOME -- paid translators sounds like a good idea to me
     - easy to put in a timetable
     - results are obvious
  2. Fonts - pay professionals to design fonts
     - also easy to put a timetable for
     - results are very obvious

> so we are talking about funding a certain project that they choose, leaving
> the door open for us to decide what to do with the money, either give it to
> one programmer to work on it, give it to a team, take a portion of it to an
> Arabeyes account, and use the rest to fund full-time

Well, how much money are we talking about here? It's really hard to decide
anything without having an estimate of the potential amounts. I am generally
not comfortable with having developers get paid for their work on arabeyes
projects. However, for things that require a lot of time and not enough
interest from volunteers (like translations, etc), I think it is very
adequate.

For example, it would be _very_ nice to get a group of people to work on the
Duali dictionary.

> programmers/developers/etc .. One of the thing he mentioned was to pay for us
> to create a number of nice fonts in a certain amount of time, maybe he
> mentioned this as an example. Of course it is up to us to decide what the
> project they choose will cost to finish in a certain amount of time.

Certainly like the fonts idea.

> Just to let you know, there is some short-term business that I will do with
> him, helping him migrate to Linux (all the PCs in AmmanNet offices, including
> server) and train his staff, and set up what he may need for his business
> (Sound editing programs, Recorders, Encoders, streaming servers and so).

Looks like I will be hitting Isam up for a job ;)

Later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=elzubeir