Re: Missing Gnome 2.0

--- Isam Bayazidi <bayazidi at accessme dot com> wrote:

[snip snip]

> Although I think that KDE is ahead in terms of i18n and being use friendly,
> I trust that the long awaited Gnome 2 would be something really special, and
> push the desktop Linux way forward ..
>
> Let's at least have the l10n for Arabic in Gnome 2 and forget the translation

> .. make sure that I can select Jordan as my country from the control center,
> and that MG select KSA , and that the known Arabic encodings (UTF-8,
> iso8859-6, cp1256) can be displayed .. If I get the green light from all of
> you I can send them as Arabeyes to check the status, and follow up .. without
> Arabeyes' follow up, there would be no one to push :)

I'm not sure what's involved, but I'm all for getting arabeyes involved and
known by the Gnome folk (I belive Mohammed has already noted to them that
arabeyes is the official Gnome translation team).  Without knowing anything
about this topic - it would be prudent to know whether Gnome is able to accept
our Arabic characters (Pango has been dead for more than a year - and I didn't
know if they got Arabic working) - I would suggest Mohammed get in contact
with them and upload whatever tree we need to upload (similar to KDE) and
slowly start working on it.  I strongly feel that the KDE (root and kdebase)
needs to be at 100% before starting on Gnome translation.

Why am I picking on Mohammed again, well because he's the machine and
repository keeper and as such he's the best candidate to get it correct
without "they said, I said" emails - plus Mohammed has experience with
this kinda of stuff (note KDE) ?

Mohammed ?  thoughts/comments ?