[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Arabeyes applies to GSoC
- To: announce at arabeyes dot org
- Subject: Arabeyes applies to GSoC
- From: nadim at arabeyes dot org (Nadim Shaikli)
- Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:23:10 -0700
Arabeyes  is pleased to announce that it intends to participate,
for the first time ever, in Google's Summer-of-Code (GSoC) program .
Arabeyes submitted its application (info noted below) in hopes of
attaining permission to become a 'Mentoring Organization'. Google
will look over our application and suggested projects/tasks to see
if we fit their criteria after which "students" should be able to
apply (more info noted later).
We'd like to thank Djihed Afifi  for taking the initiative to make
this happen as well as all those that participated and helped on Arabeyes'
various mailing-lists. For further discussions please use the 'general'
or 'developer' mailing-lists .
.: Arabeyes.org :.
## Application - begin ##
1. Describe your organization.
We're an open source Arabic linux project (www.arabeyes.org) - bringing
Arabic language support to open source projects and applications and
developing Arabic related software.
2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2007? What do
you hope to gain by participating?
We're looking to attract more volunteers and participants as well as raise
awareness in our project's existance and availablity of its various
3. Did your organization participate in GSoC 2005 or 2006? If so, please
summarize your involvement and the successes and failures of your
No, we did not.
4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have you
applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
No, we never applied.
5. Who will your organization administrator be? Please include Google
Nadim Shaikli - (emails withheld)
6. What license does your project use?
7. What is the URL for your ideas page?
8. What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
developer (@) arabeyes -dot- org
9. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
#arabeyes on irc.freenode.net
10. Does your organization have an application template you would like to
see students use? If so, please provide it now.
Usually we request people to register and then proceed to see what
people would like to participate in be it in developement or translation
on one of our mailing-lists.
In addition to that, students will be asked to apply directly to
contact (@) arabeyes -dot- org for the GSoC positions, with details
-How they think they can benefit Arabeyes OSS projects
11. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please include
Google Account information.
Mohammed Adnene Trojette - (emails withheld)
12. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account Information.
- Tarik Fdil
- Djihed Afifi
- Ayman Hourieh
- Nadim Shaikli
13. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
Please be as specific as possible.
- Experience with past projects
- Familiarity with new projects
- Availability of time
14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
We won't accept more than 5 contributors under this program so that in the
worstcase scanrio some of our other resident developers can take over their
15. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
Mentors are quite committed to the work done at Arabeyes, and there is
always the possibility of mentors covering up others. Some mentors chose
to stay as part-time backup (not included in list above).
16. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
project's community before, during and after the program?
They will be requested to subscribe to the mailing-lists on which they
will be asked to generate status reports and be available for Q&A for
anyone that is looking at their project/work. Live help will usually be
available over IRC as well. Students can have their wiki pages at our
wiki and can include their blogs in Arabeyes planet (planet.arabeyes.org).
Students will be encouraged to setup a blog to follow their work.
17. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the
project after GSoC concludes?
After the program, successful students may take over maintainship of projects
or help in other areas. Students can be kept challenged with a long list of
interesting and rewarding ideas and projects present in our TODO page:
And our Openbugs page:
## Application - end ##